Tony graduated from the Australian Film Television and Radio School with a BA in Film and Television writing in 1996.
He wrote the feature film screenplay for THE FAVOURITE (released in 2018) directed Yorgos Lanthimos (starring Olivia Coleman, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone) which premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival (winning Silver Lion Grand Jury Prize), opened the New York Film Festival and screened at many other film festivals including Telluride and the 62nd BFI London Film Festival. Tony received a Best Original Screenplay nomination at 21st Academy Awards and won Best Screenplay at the British Independent Film Awards, BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay and Screenwriter of the Year at London Film Critics’ Awards
In 2015 he wrote and directed the feature film ASHBY (starring Mickey Rourke, Sarah Silverman and Nat Wolff), which screened at Tribeca Film Festival.
In 2002, he wrote and directed the feature film THE RAGE IN PLACID LAKE (starring Rose Byrne, Miranda Richardson and Ben Lee) which he adapted from his stage play THE CAFÉ LATTE KID. The film won the Audience Award at the Melbourne International Film Festival, AFI Award for Best Screenplay and two AWGIE Awards being Best Screenplay Adaptation and Gold AWGIE.
Tony has been writing for television since 2001, his series credits include multiple episodes of THE SECRET LIFE OF US (series 1, 2 & 3), LOVE MY WAY (series 1, 2 & 3), SPIRITED (series 1, 2 & 3), OFFSPRING (series 1 & 2), TANGLE (series 1, 2 & 3), RUSH, MOVING WALLPAPER (2007, ITV2/Kudos Productions UK), ECHO BEACH, HAPPY LIFE (2007, ITV2 AND 2013 Kudos Productions UK). Tony developed and wrote the TV series of STAR WARS for Lucas Film.
In 2012/13 Tony created, wrote multiple episodes and script produced series one and series two of the miniseries PUBERTY BLUES for Channel 10. In 2016 he created the successful series of DOCTOR DOCTOR for Channel 9 for which he wrote numerous episodes and produced on series one and two. DOCTOR DOCTOR is in its fourth series.
In 2018 Tony wrote and produced a pilot for Hulu, THE GREAT (starring Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult) which is based on his stage play. The 10 x 1 hour miniseries is shooting from September 2019.
His plays have been performed in Australia and internationally, premiere seasons include THE CAFÉ LATTE KID Sydney Theatre Company, 1995 and was nominated for the NSW Premier’s Literary Award, the same year Tony won the Phillips Parsons’ Award for Young Playwrights; THE JOHN WAYNE PRINCIPLE Sydney Theatre Company, 1996; THE RECRUIT Sydney Theatre Company, 2000 and Melbourne Theatre Company, 2002; THE VIRGIN MIM Sydney Theatre Company, 2002; THE UNLIKELY PROSPECT OF HAPPINESS Sydney Theatre Company, 2004; THE GIVE AND TAKE Sydney Theatre Company and Melbourne Theatre Company, 2005; THE GREAT Sydney Theatre Company, 2008 and THE GRENADE Sydney Theatre Company, 2010.
- Client Type: Directors Film Directors Film Writers Television Writers Theatre Writers Writers
- Email Agent
- TRAILER DROPS FOR ‘CRUELLA’ WRITTEN BY TONY MCNAMARA AND DANA FOX
- Congrats to Tony McNamara and the cast of THE GREAT for their SAG nomination
- Tony McNamara receives Writers Guild Award nominations for THE GREAT
- Tony McNamara receives Golden Globe nominations for THE GREAT
- Nicholas Hoult has been nominated for a Critics Choice Award for his work on Tony McNamara’s THE GREAT.
- Congratulations to Tony McNamara for his Emmy nomination for Outstanding Writing on a Comedy Series on THE GREAT
- TONY MCNAMARA’s ‘THE GREAT’ is due to premiere on Hulu in the U.S. in May!
- TONY MCNAMARA’s ‘THE GREAT’ – trailer out now!
- TONY MCNAMARA’s THE FAVOURITE snatching up 8 prizes at the 2019 European Film Awards
- AWGIE Nominations
- Hulu commissions THE GREAT
- Tony McNamara and Fiona Crombie win at the BAFTA’s!
- THE FAVOURITE continues winning streak
- THE FAVOURITE