Andrew is an internationally recognised writer for the stage and screen.
His works for the stage include THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE, a co-production between State Theatre Company of South Australia and Frantic Assembly in the UK (2016) followed by a new production directed by Neil Armfield at Belvoir Street Theatre in 2019; an adaptation of Kate Grenville’s novel THE SECRET RIVER, directed by Neil Armfield, Sydney Theatre Company / Sydney Festival 2013 , Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane seasons in 2016 and Edinburgh Festival and National Theatre London 2019; WHEN THE RAIN STOPS FALLING, Adelaide Festival of the Arts 2008, Sydney Theatre Company and Melbourne Theatre Company in 2009, Brisbane, Canberra and Alice Springs in 2010. The play was produced in London at the Almeida Theatre (2009) and in New York at The Lincoln Centre (2010) where it won five Lucille Lortell Awards and was named best new play of the year by Time Magazine. Productions of Andrew’s plays continue to be performed throughout Asia, UK, America and Europe.
Other plays include EL JARDÍN which premiered at Teatro Principal in Zaragoza, Spain in 2019 in collaboration with the Numero Cero collective in Madrid, ANTHEM (Melbourne Festival of the Arts 2019 and Sydney and Perth Festivals 2020) HOLY DAY (2001), WHO’S AFRAID OF THE WORKING CLASS? (1998), SPEAKING IN TONGUES (1996), SCENES FROM A SEPARATION (1995), SHIP OF FOOLS (1999) and AFTER DINNER (1988). AFTER DINNER was revived by Sydney Theatre Company in 2015 and State Theatre Company of South Australia in 2018. Andrew is currently adapting his play WHEN THE RAIN STOPS FALLING in to an opera for Opera Australia with music by Quentin Grant.
Andrew’s film credits include IN THE SHADOW OF IRIS, a French language adaptation of his screenplay Chaos directed by Jalil Lespert (starring Romain Duris, Charlotte Le Bon, Jalil Lespert, Camille Cottin); A MOST WANTED MAN (2014) an adaptation of John Le Carre’s novel for director Anton Corbijn (starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Willem Defoe and Robyn Wright) which premiered at Sundance Film Festival; EDGE OF DARKNESS (2010) starring Mel Gibson; BLESSED (2009) winner Best Screenplay at the San Sebastian Film Festival; THE BOOK OF REVELATION (2006); LANTANA (2001), based on his stage play Speaking in Tongues, premiered at Sydney Film Festival and had Gala Screening at Toronto Film Festival, screenplay was awarded, Best Screenplay at the Australian Film Institute Awards, Australian Critics Circle Award, Australian Writers Guild Award; HEAD ON (1998) winner Best Screenplay Australian Writers Guild Awards, THE FISHERMAN’S WAKE (1996) and the original screenplay for STRICTLY BALLROOM (1992).
Andrew has films in development with Tessa Ross (UK), Blumhouse (US) and miniseries in development with Matchbox Pictures.
- Client Type: Film Writers Theatre Writers Writers
- Email Agent
- Celebrating 20 years of Andrew Bovell’s ‘LANTANA’
- Catch ANDREW BOVELL’s ‘ANTHEM’ at the Perth Festival until the 16th of Feb
- ANDREW BOVELL’s WHEN THE RAIN STOPS FALLING wins Best Foreign text at the Premi Ubu 2019 (Italian Entertainment Awards)
- ANDREW BOVELL’s ANTHEM returns
- The Secret River opens at the Edinburgh Festival!
- Things I Know to Be True @ Belvoir
- THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE in Arizona
- THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE is welcomed back to the Lyric Hammersmith
- Thing I Know To Be True – UK tour success
- Becoming a Screenwriter
- Bovell: Back from the Edge
- Andrew Bovell is STC’s new Patrick White Fellow
- THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE UK Casting Released
- The Guardian reviews Andrew Bovell’s THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE
- Andrew Bovell talks about his new play THINGS I KNOW TO BE TRUE
- John Sheedy appointed chief executive of Theatre Works
- THE SECRET RIVER is still essential theatre viewing