Kate Gaul is a theatre and opera director, creative producer, festival director, and designer based in Sydney, NSW. She is a graduate of NIDA (Directing 1996) and Artistic Director of Siren Theatre Co. Kate undertook a residency with SITI Company (NYC) and was Associate Director at Ensemble Theatre.
Kate has established herself as a distinctive and inventive director, with directing credits including plays, opera, physical theatre, devised works, and classics for theatre companies and schools in Australia. She is Artistic Director of Siren Theatre Co where her passion is for text-based drama challenges artists and audiences to have bold imaginative experiences.
Kate has also directed festivals (World Interplay, Playlist, Invisible Circus, Cabaret, and Short Play Festivals), and Sydney Mardi Gras Parade.
Opera credits include Castor + Pollux (Pinchgut), Eight Songs for a Mad King (Verbruggen Ensemble), The Cunning Little Vixen (Sydney Chamber Opera), Hansel and Gretel (Pacific Opera), Il Matrimonio Segreto, English Eccentrics, Les Mamelles de Tiresias, Cendrillon (Sydney Conservatorium), Dialogues of the Carmelites, Die Fledermaus (WAPPA). For Opera Australia, Kate was the assistant director of Rigoletto (Opera Australia) Aida, Opera Australia’s Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour and revival director for the schools’ production By the Light of the Moon, and OZ Opera production of Carmen, 2007.
Kate directed a gender-bending H.M.S Pinafore for Hayes Theatre and its NSW tour in 2020. H.M.S Pinafore is part of Sydney Festival 2021
- Client Type: Directors Theatre Directors
- Email Agent
- Big congratulations to SUZIE MILLER and KATE GAUL for their Sydney Theatre Award nominations!
- KATE GAUL’s HMS PINAFORE
- Kate Gaul’s THE MOORS at the Seymour Centre
- Kate Gaul at Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- Good With Maps
- Kate Gaul directs Patrick White’s THE HAM FUNERAL
- Wonderful reviews for Kate Gaul’s THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY
- 2016 Sydney Theatre Awards
- Kate Gaul’s GOOD WITH MAPS at the Kings Cross Theatre