Simon was Artistic Director of the State Theatre Company of South Australia from 1990 to 1993 and Artistic Director of the Melbourne Theatre Company from 2000 to 2011.
His directing credits range from new works to contemporary and Shakespearean classics to musicals to opera. He has directed works by most of the great contemporary writers: Albee (A DELICATE BALANCE), Beckett (HAPPY DAYS), Brecht (ARTURO UI), Churchill (CLOUD NINE/SERIOUS MONEY), Hare (THE BLUE ROOM), McDonagh (THE PILLOWMAN), Orton (WHAT THE BUTLERSAW/ENTERTAINING MR SLOANE), Shepherd (BURIED CHILD/A LIE OF THE MIND), and Stoppard (ARCADIA/ROCK’N’ROLL). He has also directed the premieres of many new works by leading Australian writers, including David Williamson, Stephen Sewell, Hannie Rayson and Joanna Murray-Smith. (Their fourth collaboration, SONGS FOR NOBODIES, is currently touring Australia.) Among his many classical productions THE TEMPEST, JULIUS CAESAR, A COMEDY OF ERRORS and THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST all toured nationally in Australia.
Simon’s musical credits in Australia include AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN, LOVE NEVER DIES, PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT (which also had seasons in New Zealand, Canada, Italy, Brazil, on the West End and Broadway), THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, THE TWENTY-FIFTH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, URINETOWN THE MUSICAL, COMPANY, THE THREEPENNY OPERA, CABARET and HIGH SOCIETY (Australia and the UK.)
Simon’s opera credits include: LA BOHEME, FALSTAFF, L’ELISIR D’AMORE andLULU for Opera Australia, THE MAGIC FLUTE and DON GIOVANNI for Opera New Zealand and A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM and BILLY BUDD for Hamburg State Opera.
Simon’s numerous awards include seven Green Room Awards and six Helpmann Awards.
- Client Type: Directors Theatre Directors
- Email Agent
- Simon Phillips’ ‘AS YOU LIKE IT’ opens in Melbourne
- Simon Phillips’ ‘NORTH BY NORTHWEST’ playing at the Sydney Lyric Theatre March 2022
- Simon Phillips’ ‘THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA’ to be staged on Sydney Harbour
- ‘ROUND THE TWIST’ Musical receives RISE Funding
- Shakespeare in Love
- Shakespeare in Love
- You’re terrible Muriel!
- Simon Phillips brings SONGS FOR NOBODIES to the West End
- Muriel’s Wedding the Musical: A resounding hit
- North by Northwest: UK Debut
- LADIES IN BLACK at Sydney Festival
- A FLEA IN HER EAR Reviews
- A Flea In Her Ear the latest production for successful director-designer partnership
- 2016 Helpmann Awards Nominees
- THE BEAST returns to the stage
- Marg Horwell wins at the Green Room Awards
- Green Room Award Nominations