A multi-award winning Australian Director whose work has been staged extensively throughout Australia, John has directed productions for Belvoir Street Theatre, Bell Shakespeare, Parramatta Riverside, Black Swan State Theatre Company, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Theatre Company, Griffin and Opera Australia. John’s work has been recognized with multiple nominations for Helpmann and Sydney Theatre Awards. He was the Artistic Director of TheatreWorks St Kilda from 2015, he delivered his final season for the company in 2017.
Prior to this John was the Artistic Director at Barking Gecko Theatre Company from 2010 to 2015. In his time at Barking Gecko John directed the stage adaptation of Shaun Tan’s children’s book THE RED TREE as well as other acclaimed productions including DRIVING INTO WALLS, HAMLET, STORM BOY, DUCK, DEATH AND THE TULIP, ONEFIVEZEROSEVEN, and JASPER JONES.
In 2015, John’s swan-song for Barking Gecko, in conjunction with Opera Australia, was THE RABBITS adapted from the novel by John Marsden and Shaun Tan, premiering at the 2015 Perth International Arts Festival before transferring to the Melbourne Festival and subsequent seasons at the Sydney Festival and QPAC in 2016. THE RABBITS was the winner of four 2015 Helpmann Awards – Best Presentation for Children, Best Original Score, best Costume Design and Best New Australian Work.
In 2016 for Opera Australia, John was the assistant director to Matthew Barclay on the recent revival of FOR THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES.
John’s first short film MRS MCCUTCHEON had its Australian premier at the Melbourne International Film Festival in 2017, winning Best Australian Short Film. MRS MCCUTCHEON won Best Short Film at the Screen Producers Awards 2017 and the Gympie Gold Award at the Heart of Gold International Film Festival 2017, the film was also nominated for the AACTA Award for Best Short Film.
John first feature film H IS FOR HAPPINESS for Cyan Films will have its world premiere at the Melbourne International Film Festival 2019. The film is based on the celebrated children’s book by Barry Jonsberg My Life As An Alphabet, and has been adapted for the screen by Lisa Hoppe.
- Client Type: Directors Film Directors Theatre Directors
- Email Agent
- JOHN SHEEDY’s ‘H is For Happiness’ wins a special mention at the Berlin Film Festival!
- “In his feature helming debut, Aussie theater director JOHN SHEEDY proves a talent to watch.”
- JOHN SHEEDY’s ‘H IS FOR HAPPINESS’ announced as the opening film for the Generation KPlus section at Berlinale!
- H is for Happiness Trailer
- John Sheedy’s H IS FOR HAPPINESS to premier at MIFF
- AACTA’s Announced
- MIFF Short Award Win
- AACTA Short Film Nominees
- THE RASPUTIN AFFAIR Reviews
- MRS MCCUTCHEON is heading to International Short Film Festival Oberhausen!
- A Rave Review of John Sheedy’s LIFETIME GUARANTEE
- John Sheedy appointed chief executive of Theatre Works