Brian was born and educated in Sydney and made his theatre debut in 1971 when he designed set and costumes for Jim Sharman’s legendary productions of AS YOU LIKE IT for the Old Tote Theatre and HAIR for producer Harry M. Miller. Brian designed settings for the original Australian and London productions of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR and THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW. He also designed the enduring cult film THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW and won the 1996 Tony award for Broadway production of THE KING AND I, which also played at the London Palladium. He designed KYLIE MINOGUE’S INTIMATE AND LIVE TOUR in 1999, was supervising designer for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games the 2001 Centenary of Federation Ceremony, the 2003 Rugby World Cup Opening Ceremony and the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games. He has also designed THE HARBOUR BRIDGE EFFECT for Sydney New Year’s Eve celebrations from 2005 – 2010.
Brian has designed settings for more productions in the Sydney Opera House than any other designer. Brian has designed innumerable plays for all the major theatre companies in Australia. He designed numerous productions Company B Belvoir, The Sydney Theatre Company, Opera Australia (BLISS, BILLY BUDD, VOSS, DEATH IN VENICE, THE EIGHTH WONDER, MADELINE LEE, LA BOHEME) and The Sydney Dance Company and the English National Opera. He designed Dame Edna’s bookend productions, HOUSEWIFE SUPERSTAR!!! in 1977 and DAME EDNA BACK WITH A VENGEANCE on Broadway in 2004. Brian has designed BURN THE FLOOR, which is touring internationally, THE BOY FROM OZ with Hugh Jackman, KEATING! and SHANE WARNE THE MUSICAL in Australia, the West End production of HOLDING THE MAN and PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT, productions in Australia/NZ and the West End, Toronto, Broadway, Milan and Sao Paulo. He also designed KYLIE MINOGUE’S GODDESS floats for the 2012 Mardi Gras.
- Client Type: Designers Film & TV Designers Theatre Designers
- Email Agent
- BRIAN THOMSON AM's website
- Brian Thomson’s LA TRAVIATA Opens Friday 27th
- BETTY BLOKK-BUSTER re-imagined by an HLA All-Star team!
- Make sure to catch “BRIAN THOMSON’s evocative, fetching set” in KRAPP’S LAST TAPE at The Old Fitz Theatre
- WESLEY ENOCH’s BETTY BLOKK BUSTER with an HLA all-star creative team
- Things I Know to Be True @ Belvoir
- Helpmann Award Nominations Announced!
- 2016 Sydney Theatre Awards
- FAITH HEALER opens to Rave Reviews
- 4.5/5 stars for THE TURQUOISE ELEPHANT